28.3.07

You Say じんじん, I Say Тьин Тьин

In speaking to a native Japanese (and English) speaker, a small dilemma came up. I can speak Japanese, but of course not perfectly. We were discussing restaurants and I mentioned one called Tin Tin which I pronounce as something like [tʲɪn.tʲɪn]. My acquaintance responded with several comments about the restaurant, and it became eventually apparent that we were discussing different restaurants. She had been saying something more like [ʤ̥ɪn.ʤ̥ɪn]¹ for the restaurant (spelled Jin Jin, maybe?). I guess it was just a case off people not being fully enough aware of the subtle nuances that are different beween different phonologies. Both of those are Chinese restaurants anyway, but I guess our assumptions about the pronunciation differs. It's interesting to me though, at least from an orthographic point of view, English /t/ and /j/ are rarely confused.
Incidentlly, most English monolinguals I know call it [tʰɪn.tʰɪn] would call the other [ʤɪn.ʤɪn].

Note ¹: I can never figure out how to insert the partial-devoicing sub-diacritic, pretend there is one under each /ʤ/. The worst part is that it shows up properly in the preview, but it doesn't seem to work ever in the actual post.

Apparently, for at least one other similarly named restaurant, Tin Tin means "fresh made daily." 天天, as seen here could be tiān tiān, meaning "every day," tin1 tin1 in Cantonese. The other restaurant may've also had 填 tián, tin4 in Cantonese, which can mean "make good," it seems.
Also, Jin Jin probably would have one of the characters as 金, jin1 (or jin4), meaning gold or golden, quite common in names of Asian restaurants, brands, and the like, but I can't determine just yet what the name could be.