18.3.07

A + B = А + Б

It's always been pretty aparent that in the sequence of the word азбука /alphabet/, it was representing the letters /a/ and /b/ to some extent, just like you can see in the English alphabet. Of course, though, it's actually a sequence of the two first letters of Greek, Alpha + Bet(a), from which our writing system comes. I was reading up on an old form of the Cyrillic alphabet and I noticed that the first two letters were presented as:

ЛітериНазва літер
Аазъ
Ббоѵкы

(Pardon my characters, I don't any for old Cyrillic, nor do most people I think. The 3rd chatacter in боѵкы is supposed to be a lower-case Cyrillic upsilon)

It then struck me that the names of the letters are something like [az] and [bukɪ], very similar to [azbuka], the word for alphabet. It seems that things aren't so different after all between languages. Incidentally, in my youth I sometimes inserted a /в/ into азбука creating азбуква. I guess deep down I just wanted it to go one letter further.

3 Comentarios:

Blogger Unknown dijó...

Letters "A" and "Б" are pronounce as "аз" and "буки", depends of which nation letters do you use. In Serbian "Azbuka", for example, letters "A" and "Б" are pronouncing as "A" and "Б".
If you want I could send you mp3 files so you can hear how those two letters are been pronounce or I could send you links so you could download form net.

Літери - Назва літер
----------------------------------
А - аз
Б - буки

7.4.07  
Blogger Unknown dijó...

qzz0707
tods outlet
mac makeup
givenchy handbags
valentino outlet
michael kors outlet
le coq sportif shoes
michael kors outlet
yeezy boost
coach outlet
fila shoes

6.7.18  
Blogger Unknown dijó...

www0731

coach outlet
ugg boots
pandora charms
cheap jordans
coach outlet
ferragamo outlet
louboutin shoes
christian louboutin shoes
ralph lauren uk
kate spade outlet online









30.7.18  

Post a Comment

<< Home