21.3.07

And That's How It Works

I have just finished my watching a child I regularly do, and I wanted to make a quick note about something said earlier. Blake, let's call him, just picked up the food I had just finised preparing for him, french bread pizza cooked in the oven, and was bringing it in to the other room where we were watching some television on the box and quickly dropped one piece onto the floor with a splat, and immediately went:
And that's why you should never let me carry anything

Something I found quite humorous immediately, but also became a bit curious about shortly thereafter when I reflected a bit.
(Sorry for the delay here, if it seems disjointed it's because then I was at the house and now I'm in a lecture on Tzeltal folk taxonomy)
Anyway, the humor probably was immediate because it reminded me a lot of Bender's quote, from episode [2ACV19] of Futurama:

Fry: That was great!
Bender: And no one suspects a thing.


The other characters are scowling at them. Part of a wall collapses nearby.

Bender: And that's how we learned our lesson. [Fry nods]

Now, while Blake added a little something to his version to his, specifically implying that it was effectively my fault that the pizza fell, it's still very interesting to see these usages. The coordinator AND is well known to be able to start off sentences, despite what many "authorities" seem to suggest. R. W. Burchfield, in the a usage guide said that using AND can be useful for writers as the narrative continues. That seems to be the case in the first sequence where Bender starts a sentence with AND, effectively continuing in with what Fry just said. The subsequent AND, as well as Blake's, both don't seem to be continuing any narrative, but are the sole unit. The unifying feature of both is that they follow an action, and it seems that, syntactically, the unit that is being coordinated with is the action istelf. Or perhaps not the action, but rather, a description of the scenery? It's hard to tell in some cases. Either way, an interesting thing that I've noticed in various searches for and that's why and and that's how is that they are not generally used to continue a narrative, but rather are very final. The largely occur either isolated, or at the end of sequences. Another feature that seems to have become ingrained into the why sequences is that the statements are often very...I suppose I would group then as "aggressive." Something like:

And that's why you don't fuck with me!

While the how statements are much more on the solely terminitive side, à la:

And that's how you make pudding!

And that's how I learned all about these types of sentences.

0 Comentarios:

Post a Comment

<< Home