30.3.07

Indonesian Rap Son'

Recently I had the pleasure to listen to some music from Indonesia that is apparently considered to be part of the rap genre. I don't know how much it would fly under that label in this country nowadays, though I'm not sure when the song was made and much of that is neither here nor there. In context, I was able to pull out a few examples of reduplication, which is always fun when dealing with a language that has this phenomenon. What I found specifically interesting was that a lot of words seemed to elide the ultimate consonant, either completely, or partially, by not articulating it particularly. I don't think that it was for the purpose of rhyme or meter, but possibly it could've been for the purpose of being able to spit out the words smoother and quicker.
This happens quite a bit I know in American rap music, but I always had the association as being more cultural, rather than having any foot in the music. Perhaps they do just work well together. I can't say that I've noticed it in the various Ukrainian, Brazilian, and Japanese rap that I've come across, but I can't say that it wasn't ever there either. I'll have to keep my ears and eyes open in the future to observe it. If I can get ahold of the song, maybe I can do some further investigation.

0 Comentarios:

Post a Comment

<< Home