25.6.07

Comic Cons

Constructed languages and writing systems are often quite interesting, and I've come across a bunch in comic books and other mediums. I remember the language use throughout the Micronauts comic book, which was for the most part had a 1:1 correspondance to English, and was based on devanagari. There were other symbols later (such as the mark of the makers) on in the series, but it might not've been writing.

In recent years, I noticed a switch from handwritten symbols that quite possibly are the full extent of the language (such as this) to what appears to be a font that can probably be deduced. I remember it being shown for the Skrulls in some Marvel comic not too many years ago. I might not be interpreting this site properly, but it seems that some Skrull text translated to some rather unintersting statements, one of them even comes as "?SKRULLSYMBOLS?" I don't know if it's the same script or not, there seems to be very little on it (them?) that I can find.

I think a lack of foreign scripts has to do with so often alien or foreign language is written inside brackets in the following fashion:

<I am speaking another language>
Sorry for lack of a better example.

Interlac is another language, though it's another 1:1 correspondance to English, and seems pretty unimpessive over all, and has a lot of English influence (not the parallels between the E/F, M/N, paradigms, and S through Z are seem pretty Angloid to me as well.

Another script I liked was the Standard Intergalactic Alphabet from Commander Keen. The link comes with a font. It seems to be based on various characters selected from other scripts, including Japanese, リ and フ, potentially.

0 Comentarios:

Post a Comment

<< Home