20.4.07

A Wordsmith's Way To A Comfortable Seat

I was over at a friend's house watching a movie, and she got up to adjust something, and I started lying down. She said "don't lay down." I say "okay" and finished lying down, and she said "hey, I said don't lay down!" and I said "don't lay what down?"¹

Of course I knew what she meant, but I took advantage of the fact that for some people, like myself, a distinction is made between LIE and LAY, and for others, like her, the distinction is less clear. And I really wanted to lie down on that couch.

Note ¹: These excerpts might sound like we are being quite hostile, but actually it was all in good fun. It's a shame there is little in way of marking intonation or making a larger context clear. I guess the best summation for the attitude would be "kidding around"

0 Comentarios:

Post a Comment

<< Home