4.4.07

Good = Bad

During a lecture on case/roles I was attending, the speaker mentioned the benefactive case, and then make a distinguishment between that, and what he called the malefactive case. When I originally learned all about this, it was easier just to join the two and use a phrase like dative of interest, but apparently he wanted to avoid using that nomenclature for various reasons. Unless I am mistaken, and I might just be, there is no language that distinguishes between what he seperated into the benefactive and malefactive cases (past the fact that one is good and one is bad). Specifically, the following sentences always operate in the same fashion.
He stole money for her [benefactive]

He stole money from her [malefactive]
A colleague of mine suggested lumping the two into a "factive case," though this term seems to be used a little bit with a different meaning, but I appreciate the enthusiasm. He was half joking with the term anyway. Either way, I still don't see why these aren't placed together. I've seen a few people suggest languages as having this distinction, but I really haven't found any clear examples so far. For all I can tell, they may basically function just the same as the above examples in English, where there is clearly a distinction between when one gains and one is a victim, but there is no real useful distinction between the two past the meaning, they really do seem to be two sides of the same coin.

0 Comentarios:

Post a Comment

<< Home