21.4.07

Taking Word Play Too Seriously

In reading a review of an album while I was searching for lyrics to a specific song, I came across this snippet:

Of course, this couldn’t be a proper punch-in-the-face, Locust look-alike without some wink-wink, nudge-nudge song titles. “A Biggot Is a Spic” and “Awesome Rape” are just two unsettling plays on words to ponder while letting the lyrics spew forth like the wrath of bitter Teletubbies. [emphasis mine]
Aside from slightly with some other curiosities of the review, I was quite caught up with the remark I have bolded. I could not figure out how these were supposed to be plays on words. I thought at first that the former was perhaps the words "biggot" and "spic" mapped onto some reference I was supposed to catch. Awesome Rape didn't strike me the same way, and I thought that maybe there was a word break difference or some sort of pun that I was missing, but I just couldn't grasp it. I found a seperate reviewer who commented that the two aforementioned songs had the best titles, and then I realized that by play on words, I think the author merely meant to say that they are unusual juxtapositions of elements.

[term for a racist; biggot] + [racist term; spic]
[positive word; awesome] + [negative word; rape].
It's probably just me, but I never really considered this type of mismatching to be a form of word play, but rather more along the lines of an oxymoron or an inherent contradiction, which I don't really think of as word play. It goes to show that getting caught up in the terminology can lead to wasting a portion of your day researching the subtle nuances that arguably differ various pieces of language.

1 Comentarios:

Blogger Alexicon dijó...

Maybe they should call them "phrase plays" or "plays on phrases". This reminds me of the numerous misuses of the words "ironic" and "irony".

13.6.07  

Post a Comment

<< Home