3.4.08

Writing Sign Language

I've been reading up on sign language, which has been an interest of mine in recent times. There is a lot of interesting insight to be gained  on development of language, especially with the large number of distinctions between many sign languages and their spoken counterpart, as well as humorous or otherwise interesting aspects (a quick list of some intriguing ones on wikipedia, Nicaraguan SL, Kata Kolok, Al-Sayyid Bedouin SL, Martha's Vineyard SL)

That's mostly an aside, I came across this site, which is about writing in sign language. Apparently it's the standard for writing a whole slew of sign languages, Omniglot says 27, and the author boasts usages on all habited continents. I thought it would be nice to find something I could use to read symbols and practice, but it looks pretty unintuitive for people unfamiliar with the nuances of the symbols anyway. The site makes mention in its linguistics section a couple other notational systems, Stokoe Notation, and the rarer HamNoSys, neither of which seem like they would be good from a learner's perspective.

This seems to me to be a rather interesting phenomenon, but not quite as much as I was originally hoping. In a practical sense it's a lovely idea, since photo books, while ever so descriptive, don't really come cheap or seem to be able to contain the breadth of information for the cost. Internet sources (at least the ones I've casually encountered) also don't seem to have interfaces I am thrilled about. The interesting thing I was hoping would be more expansive is where the sign languages have a sort of "full circle" notion, since you can write characters manually, and then you can graphically represent these characters with new symbols.

I'm going to have to be short and cut that off here, but what more is there to say?

0 Comentarios:

Post a Comment

<< Home