6.3.08

Keyboards, Left-handedness,

I mentioned recently that I would comment on the frequency of keys typed on my laptop (that was pretty much the whole post, so why bother linking?) and there is a little bit of a story too it, but be forewarned, it's not a very good one.

Regularly I use a whiteboard to do my linguistic analysis, or for whatever things I need to be accomplishing that day, I find it to be a great way to help my thinking and work with data. So much so that I carry a smaller board and markers around with me (not everywhere, or course) but for when I might wind up sitting someplace for a time or know I will be working. Now, the finer nuances of how white boards work escapes me, but basically, when you wipe away the marker, it has to go somewhere, right?

Well, apparently I use my board enough that little bits get on my fingers and usually it is of no consequence to anyone or anything. After a while though, I noticed that my lovely white keyboard and touch pad are turning greenish, and not just the yellowish that is to be expected from MacBooks that were bought during a certain period of time.

The keys that are turning green are {a, s, e, r, t, h, n, u, i, o} and to a lesser extent {y, l} and where my thumb would sit on the space bar and right shift. Those probably seem to be pretty regularly used letters, and I think they coincide roughly where my hand sit on the keyboard. Something like:

LP - on {a}
LR - on {s}
LM - on {e}
LI - on {r, t}
LT - on space bar, near c/v break

RT - on {n}
RI - on u/i break
RM - on i/o break
RR - on o/p break
RP - on right shift

It's not too surprising that it worked out that way, that's right about where your fingers are supposed to line up. My keyboard looks something like:

QWERTYUIOP
 ASDFGHJKL
  ZXCVBNM

The ergonomic keyboards with the break in the middle always threw me off because I am right handed, but left hand dominant, so (well, I'm not sure if it's causative or not, but) I type much further over with my left hand that is intended, specifically characters {y, h}.

Incidentally, the department I'm in has an unusual amount of left-handed linguists. Less than 10% of the adult population is expected to be left-handed, but it's easily over 20% of faculty, and I don't actually know the orientation of a good number. Weird stuff, eh?

2 Comentarios:

Anonymous Anonymous dijó...

It's really a cool and useful piece of information. I am satisfied that you simply shared this useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

My web blog: Tens therapy

23.2.13  
Anonymous Anonymous dijó...

Ηowdy! This blog pοst could not be ωritten
much bеtter! Reading thгough this aгtiсlе remindѕ me of my
prevіοus roоmmate! Ηe constantly kеpt preaching about this.
Ӏ'll send this post to him. Pretty sure he's going to hаνе a
greаt rеad. Thank you for sharing!

mу homepagе - tens unit hire

23.2.13  

Post a Comment

<< Home