4.3.07

Sound Thwymbolism

There's something about the sequence THW that crossed my mind during the last post. All of the contemporary words I was able to come up with have this aspect of intensity to them thwart - to stop somebody, thwomp - a giant stone creature who can crush you and obstruct your path (from the Mario video games), thwack - onomatopoeia of something hitting something else, thwip - the sound of Spider-Man's web-shooter firing.

There are derivatives of a secondary meaning of thwart that don't seem to convey this, but they seem to be fairly specialized or poetic (if not stilted), and not all usages of the sound sequence are necessary for the symbolism anyway (Though thwartwise still just makes me think of the symbolic usage).

In all honesty, I can't produce any other examples (Pathway and lathwork have it but not as on onset) , and I'll admit that the tying together of the three newer productions is tenuous, but I still think there is something there. The sequence of the interdental [θ] followed by a labial sound [w] is the perfect setup for this explosion of sound that I just can't see as being used for the new extra soft pillows you'll be buying soon enough.

Incidentally, there was a neologism produced by myself and a friend thbiper (something like [ðbʌɪpɚ] or [θpʌɪpɚ], but I don't remember the exact meaning (some kind of creature, I think).

0 Comentarios:

Post a Comment

<< Home